Most of us have purchased a piece of Sterling Silver; a pendant, charm, bracelet, earrings or even a picture frame, and have seen the “925″ stamped or engraved into the back of it, once in a while followed with the word “silver”. What precisely does this mysterious “925″ stamp mean? Way back, just a few centuries ago, a number stamped into a silver item was used more as a serial number for the maker, to guarantee its’ authenticity. Today, the stamped “925″ means something exclusively different.
Silver, exceptionally Sterling Silver Jewelry, is ordinarily stamped or engraved with “925″ on the back. The stamp may vary as either: “925″, “.925″, or “92.5″. What this means is in truth very simple! It merely states that the item is 92.5% silver. The “925″ is a modern-day guarantee that the item you purchased is made of high, silver content and is of quality. So what’s in the other 7.5%?
The other 7.5% of the item is where you have to be careful. Depending on the country of origin, the other 7.5% could be nickel, copper, or even lead! Thankfully, for most of us in Europe and North America, the silver we buy in necklaces, earrings, or bracelets, is in all likelihood made more inviolable through the use of copper. Copper is more inviolable and more durable, and even with the rising economy, still for less than silver. In the U.S., our silver is screened for content and most reputable jewelry makers are staying away from leaded silver made in China and other manufacturing companies. Always be sure to ask or look on the web site before purchasing, just to be safe!
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful.
- Lone Star Silver Cufflinks Cuff Links
- Spike & Chain Skulls Pewter Slave Ring
- Leather Indo Style Mens 21 Cm Bracelet
- Mens Titanium Celtic Beast Artistic Tribal
- Black Tungsten Carbide 16Mm Men’s Link
- 7.75 In. Tungsten Carbide 900 Black H
- Chinese Zodiac Pendant – Monkey
- Stainless Steel Fish Bone Pendant Necklace
- Camera Cufflinks
- Stainless Steel Biker Ring -Skull Bones
- Pink & Black Silk Knot Cufflinks
- Stainless Steel Black Ionic Plating Link
- Blue Green Azurite Inlay Winged Fire
- Polished Silver Cufflinks And Studs
- Stainless Steel Dog Tag Cross Pendant With
- Celtic Knot Stepdown Comfort Fit Tungsten
- Stainless Steel 5/16 In. Lesbian
- Saxophone Cufflinks In Gift Box
- Duragold 14K White Gold 1.00Mm Solid